.

Raw Food Detox


What is a Detox? 
It's a body cleanse to remove accumulated toxins from the food we eat, the air we breathe, the water we drink and the products we use daily in our body and home.

Our body does that naturally thought the gastrointestinal tract, kidneys, lungs, nose, skin and liver. A detox is just a way of helping the body, as we are constantly exposed to chemicals and toxins.


There are several different detoxes like: juice detox,  water detox, fruits detox, vegetable detox, fruits and vegetable detox, and many others.


What to eat in a Raw Detox?
In a raw detox, all the food should be raw and fresh.  Uncooked. 

So dairy products, animal products, alcoholic drinks, processed and refined foods are not included.

In a raw diet the food is not cooked. The high temperatures of cooking destroys most of the nutrients and enzymes of the foods. 

This detox is gluten-free and high in vitamins, minerals, and fibers. 

Eat your favourite raw foods. You can take some ideas from what I ate.

Fruits: strawberries, cherries, red and green grapes, figs, red and green apples, peaches, nectarine, apricots, bananas, melon, watermelon, pears, oranges, plums, pomegranates, guava, kiwis, pineapple, mango, avocado, unsweetened dried apricots and figs, medjool dates.


Unsweetened Juices: 
  - Orange fresh juice 
  - Pineapple + orange 

Smoothies: 
 - 2 handful of baby spinach + 1 orange + 1 apple + 1 carrot
 - 2 handful of celery + 2 orange + 1 pear + 1 carrot

Vegetables: tomato, lettuce, cucumber, carrot, garlic, onion, beet, baby spinach, green peas, red and green bell pepper, romaine and iceberg lettuce, cherry tomato, baby rocca, chive, celery, swiss chard, red and white cabbage. 

There are many vegetables that taste very good raw, but as we never tried, we don't know how it tastes. Shredded raw beet was a pleasant surprise. 


Grains: Soaked bulgur uncooked. 

Herbs: parsley, thyme, oregano, coriander, mint.

Seasonings: lemon juice, extra virgin cold pressed olive oil, natural apple cider vinegar, sumac,  and salt (used in salads).

Unsalted or very lightly salted Nuts: cashews, almonds, pistachios, walnuts, pine nuts, hazelnuts.

Unsalted or very lightly salted Seeds: flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, zucchini seeds, chia seeds, sunflower seeds, melon seeds.


Filtered water: Between 2 and 2,5 litres per day.

Unsweetened herbal teas: 
 - Cinnamon tea
 - Ginger tea
 - Mint tea 


I questioned if some of the things that I ate should be or not in a raw diet, like: salt or olive oil.
But, it made it  so much easier to eat salads.

Check, here, some raw recipes and  here  some salad dressing ideais.

I actually, kept an online food diary to make sure I was eating enough calories and all the needed nutrients. I used Cronometer.
Of course, it will be always missing the Vitamin B12 and the Vitamin D, as this is a Raw Detox and these vitamins seems to be only found in animal products, like: fish, seafood,  cheese, milk, meat, eggs or fortified processed foods.


How it was?
It a restrictive diet. I couldn't cook, and there were lots of legumes, whole grains, and grains I couldn't eat, like beans.

The chickpeas need to be boiled in water to make it softer to eat.

I craved a lot for chocolate and processed sugary foods, because I used to eat chocolate and sugary foods everyday.  But, I got over the chocolate craving by eating medjool dates, cherries, pineapple, unsweetened dried figs and fresh juices. So, it also worked as a sugar detox, for me.


It was hard but I never felt hungry, because I could eat all the fruits and vegetables I wanted. And fruit has natural sugar. 



How long should a Detox take?
I didn't know how long a detox would take to help my body to eliminate all the toxins it needed to. Everybody seemed to make different times. 

So, I decided I would stop my detox when my symptoms disappear.
After 4 weeks, I still had some rash/acne in my chest, forehead and neck, but it was disappearing and I didn't have any other symptoms. 
So, for me I needed 4 weeks.



What Symptoms did I fell during the Raw Detox?
I heard that you feel like crap. I thought it was because of the acne or headaches, but it was not. You REALLY feel bad, but isn't hurting nowhere... but you really feel bad. For me, it happened during the third week, for a couple of days.

In general, a symptom just lasts 1 day or 2. The next day, you will have another symptom or, hopefully, none.

The symptoms that lasted longer, for me, were: the acne, the rashes, the irritability, the cravings, fatigue and the frequent toilet visits.



Week 1 
  • Acne in shoulders and face 
  • Headache for 2 days 
  • Insomnia or sleeping too much 
  • Irritability
  • Cravings for processed sugary foods
  • Frequent urination
  • Some nausea

Week 2
  • Increase of the bowel movements, like 2 and 3 times a day, loose stools. 
  • Insomnia or sleeping too much 
  • Severe irritability
  • Severe cravings for processed sugary foods
  • Frequent urination
  • Dried lips
  • Gases 
  • Nose running
  • Rash in the left hand
  • More acne in the face
  • Lost body and face volume but not weight

Week 3
  • Nausea
  • Big rash in neck and chest
  • Fatigue/ low energy
  • Feeling really bad
  • Stomach pain
  • Dried lips
  • Increase of bowel movements to 5 times a day or more. Loose stools
  • Frequent urination
  • Insomnia or sleeping too much 
  • Face and shoulders started  to clear from the acne as well hand rash
  • Started to lose a bit of belly fat
  • The white part of my eyes became whiter

Week 4
  • The sleep started to normalise
  • Bowel movements back to 1 or 2 a day or more. Loose stools
  • Rashes and acne started to disappear
  • Dried lips
  • Sharper sense of smell 



What helped me to relieve the symptoms?
Everyday, I did a 30 minutes walkI felt tired and with low energy, but after the walk, I would always feel better and it helped me to sleep better, as well. 

I also did some days of steam bath, jacuzzi, swimming pool and dry brushing to help to release more toxins and to relax. 

Light exercise and sleep were definitely important. I also drunk 2/ 2,5Lt of water per day. 


What benefits did I notice after the Detox?
  • Feeling lighter
  • Lost volume
  • Clearer, softer and glowing face skin 
  • Softer skin body
  • Better concentration
  • More energy
  • More strength
  • General younger appearance


Recommendation
I recommend to take some holidays to make this detox. Not for the first week, but for the next ones. 
The symptoms are real. It may not happen with everybody. I guess, it will depend of each ones's diet and lifestyle, before the detox. But, the visits to the toilet will, surely, increase. And you will not be able to hold it long.

I, also, recommend to make it during Spring or Summer. It's easier to eat salads, juices, smoothies and raw cold/fresh foods during warmer months.